Saturday, September 13, 2008

Yikes! Bees!


We had a quite an adventure the other day. It was after dinner and the older kids were playing with Daddy outside. I was following through with my newly instituted "cuddle with one kid a day time"yes, I know I schedule everything! Anyway, Jeff comes up to the window and shares, hey, what do you think about going to Honey Hut. I thought hey, ya, especially since I have not been there ALL SUMMER! [I won't say anything about Jeff going a half a dozen times...oops, I just did, didn't I?]...Well, I was all for it. So, into the car we jumped, ready for a fun time, even with the chilly air. Alexa and I stayed in the car while everyone else got their ice cream. Then I jumped out and got mine. Brandon and Analiese downed their ice cream and then while we finished ours, they ran around on the border of the garden area and the parking lot. Analiese started screaming and crying not too long after they headed over there. Personally, I figured that Brandon had bulldozed past her on the border and she was righly irritated by his rude interuption (can you tell that may, may have happened before?). So, I continued with my ice cream when both of them came running over. I noticed 2 bees on Brandon's shirt. Not knowing if he had been stung, I was nervous to lift up his shirt because what if the bees got caught between his head and his shirt? I am not too tall so to clear his head of the shirt is not an easy task now that HE is getting taller. Jeff ran over and ripped off his shirt. We were quite the spectacle and I am sad to say, I was worried about getting stung myself! I thought parents are willing to risk life and limb for their children....hmmmmm...
Well, we traveled home immediately (with me finishing my ice cream cone in the car-am I sad case or what?!) amidst screaming, crying children. Colin was not phased by this. I wonder if he thought it was the same noise that usually goes on...The kids were very concerned about the bees still being there and said they are never going back there again. Jeff mentioned we may get free ice cream out of the deal (this is so Jeff-like!) and Analiese plainly said it was not worth that.
Of course, we had no sting kill, and actually we really didn't know what to do. So, Jeff was off to get some from our neighbor while I looked up on-line what in the world we should do. Once we had some treatments, Brandon was a lot happier. He got stung 6 times! They seemed more like bites, but not really sure if there are varying degrees of stings. Analiese 2 times and it seemed the stinger was still in one of them until her baking soda bath took care of that. Whew! What a night we did not bargain for. I really felt bad for them and I am pretty certain this will stick in their memory for years to come. I am sure they will use it in a "Two Truths and A Lie" game somewhere down the road. Well, now that I know we will not be returning to Honey Hut anytime soon, I am going to make sure the freezer is well stocked (like I don't do that already!). Oh and to top it all off, what is on the logo for HONEY Hut. A bee, of course!

1 comment:

josi said...

nic,
i, too, value my ice cream...love the comment about freebies from the ordeal and annaliese's response- this is so fun to hear stories of everyday life. i may need to start a blog.
love you,
josi